US Minerals Black Diamond Coal Slag Abrasive
- General Purpose abrasive used for Sandblasting
- Angular shape creates a profile on steel
- Mohs Hardness of 6-7
- Bulk Density: 75-100 lbs/ft2
- Less then 0.1% free silica
- Not Recommended for blasting on stainless or aluminum
- Comes in many different grades and packaging sizes
- Meets SSPC-AB 1 Standard
- Sold by the pallet (pallet minimum)
- Abrasive cannot be ordered online at this time
US Minerals Black Diamond Coal Slag AbrasiveSKU: P-SLCA
Black Diamond Coal Slag is distributed by BlastOne throughout the United States.
Comes in 4 main grades – Extra Coarse (10/40), Coarse (12/40), Medium (20/40), Fine (30/60). US Minerals/Black Diamond/Black Magnum Slag sizing is different from other Slags so double check that you are specifying the correct size to achieve your desired profile.
Extra Coarse 10/40 Black Diamond
This is a specialty grade that is designed for use when you need an extra large surface profile, This is the coarsest slag particle grading available from US Minerals. You can expect to achieve around a 3-5mil profile
Coarse 12/40 Black Diamond
Your general purpose maintenance blasting grade for removal of rust and existing coatings. US Minerals recommend using a 5/16″ blast nozzle or larger, you can expect to achieve a 3.5-4.5mil profile.
Medium 20/40 Black Diamond
Typical grade used for mild steel milscale removal, for blasting new tanks, and structural steel. Recommended blast nozzle size is a 1/4″ or larger, you should achieve a 2-3.5mil profile
Fine 30/60 Black Diamond
Use for whip-blasting or blasting easy to remove milscale. A 1-2.5mil profile can be expected.
|US Minerals Coal Slag Locations||Loading Hours||Blastox Available||QPL/MilSpec|
|Coffeen IL||796 Cips Trail Coffeen IL 62017||7AM-6PM||Yes||Yes|
|La Cygne KS||911 Linnco Dr La Cygne KS 66040||7AM-3PM||Yes|
|Roberts WI||1254 70th Ave Roberts WI 54023||7AM-3PM||Yes|
- Grades: 10/40, 12/40, 20/40, 30/60, Extra-Coarse, Coarse, Medium, Fine
- Packing Types: 4000lb and 2000lb Bulk bags, 100lb, 50lb paper bags. Packaging types vary by plant
- Blasting Speed: 50 – 150 ft²/hr
- Dust factor: High
- Recyclability: 1/10
- Consumption rate: 5-12 lb/ft²
- Primarily used for the surface preparation of steel and concrete surfaces.
- Used for general purpose repair and maintenance blasting of coated steel surfaces
- Produces a moderate profile
- Used for a near white blast through medium to heavy coatings, heavy rust, and heavy mill scale
- Low cost
- Versatile in a wide variety of applications
- Plentiful supplies
- High dust
- Embedment into surfaces
Coal slag is a glass matrix alumina-silicate which is produced as a by-product of coal burning power plants. As it burns, the residual ash becomes molten. When this slag is cooled, it vitrifies into a glassy, abrasive material, which is then crushed to produce blast media.