Showing the single result
Understanding Steel Grit Hardness
Hardness is a resistance of the metal to plastic deformation – usually by indentation. This term may also refer to a metal’s stiffness. This term may also refer to a metal’s stiffness, resistance to scratching, abrasion or cutting.
Types of Steel Grit
There are different grades, sizes and applications with steel grit. BlastOne can help you decide which steel media is appropriate for your usage and indeed suggest which wheel machine or similar is most appropriate for your applications.
Chilled Iron Grit
Used for manual air-blasting. It is made by quenching with cold water while red hot to produce a more brittle particle which will split on impact. The additional particles hit the steel surface and thus increase blasting speed. They will always maintain their sharp edges providing a speed increase of 8-12% compared with standard steel grit. The angular shape gives a more consistent profile and superior coating adhesion.
GL Steel Grit
Loses it sharp edges during shot blasting and is best suited to descaling and surface preparation applications.
GH Steel Grit
Having maximum hardness, GH remains angular. Mainly used in blastooms where working requirements take precedence over cost price considerations (eg – with rolling mill cylinders or when a special finish is required.) Mainly used with air abrasive blasting in blastrooms.
– Steel shot blast media is a general-purpose abrasive well suited to shot peening applications
– Wheel machines
– Ship manufacturing and maintenance
– Railcar manufacturing and maintenance
– Steel shot’s round shape offers a uniform structure and provides optimum impact resilience
– Leaves a uniform surface profile
– High resistance to impact fatigue
– High bulk density
– Low friability
– Low dust levels – improves safety and visibility conditions for blasters and helps optimize speed and productivity
– High recyclability – Carbon Steel Shot does not completely shatter when it hits a surface and can therefore be recycled hundreds of times
BlastOne’s regular shaped, sized and weighted steel shot will give excellent results over and over again. Our competitor’s highly irregular shaped, sized, and weighted steel shot will produce poor result taking a longer time and diminishing profitability.